Monday, January 17, 2011

Potty Training A Child With Disabilities

I am not sure it should be called potty training when you are trying to train a 15 year old to use the toilet, but it is one and the same. It is hard to use more adult words when you are dealing with a child who stills sees the world in simple terms.

I never thought I would be able to get my son to understand the concept of toilet training, but with persistence somehow he grasped the concept. That and many years of working on it with consistency. My frustration these days comes from the fact that my son now understands the concept, but refuses to do it. I have never found anything so frustrating in my life.

After three years he absolutely refuses to sit on the toilet and go. He has had much success with praise for the past year and a half. Now, even if I get him on the toilet, the second he gets the urge to go - he lunges off and onto the floor. Then I put a diaper on him and he relieves himself there. It is insane...some days I can hardly stand it! What am I to do?!

Join Especially For Kids! Follow the link below...

No comments: